To be eligible to host, applicants must ensure that they meet the following criteria:
- Applicant (Host) must be an awardee of one of the following Royal Academy of Engineering research schemes; Research Fellowships, Research Chair/Senior Fellowships and Chairs in Emerging Technology.
- Internships must take place during the summer break between 3 June 2024 to 4 October 2024, lasting between four to twelve weeks in total. Hosts can indicate in their applications the amount of time they can accommodate an intern for.
- Hosts can be from any engineering discipline.
- Hosts in their first year of their Academy research scheme are not eligible to host.
- Hosts in their final year of their Academy research scheme must outlast the duration of the internship. Ideally their Academy research scheme should end after December 2024.
- Hosts on costed or non-costed extensions are not eligible to host.
- Hosts must provide the intern with the following: appropriate supervision and training; a meaningful project for the interns to work on (that can be carried out at the university premises or online if COVID-19 restrictions still apply); an appropriate, COVID-19 secure working space, including necessary equipment available for the duration of the project.
The Academy aims to provide additional support to applicants from groups that are persistently underrepresented within UK engineering through the grant application process.
The Royal Academy of Engineering is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes applications from all under-represented groups across engineering. It is the Academy's policy to ensure that no applicant is disadvantaged or receives less favourable treatment because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
We would like to support you to achieve a balance between your personal and work demands. We are happy to discuss individual requirements and consider part time and other flexible working arrangements.