As we look towards our 50th anniversary in 2026, it is important that the Fellowship embodies the full breadth and diversity of engineering excellence, so in July 2020 we set a goal to elect more new Fellows from groups currently underrepresented in the Fellowship through our Fit for the Future campaign.
To achieve this ambition, we are seeking to elect more outstanding candidates who:
- are from underrepresented groups, including women, Black, Asian and minority ethnic, LGBTQ+ and disabled engineers
- have come into engineering via vocational and non-traditional routes
- are achieving excellence at an earlier career stage than is typical
- work in emerging technologies and new industries, including areas that are important to address major societal challenges.
In order to achieve this, we have:
- temporarily raised the number of Fellows that can be elected in any one year from 50 to 60; this started in 2021 and will conclude in our 50th anniversary year in 2026
- set an aspiration that at least half of all candidates elected each year will be from the target groups.