The Bhattacharyya Award is open to UK universities and colleges. Institutions are invited to submit one submission per year.
Submissions may be in any discipline. This award is open to submissions which demonstrate exceptional collaborations between academia and industry from all disciplines and not only those within the Academy’s engineering and technology remit. The purpose of this award is to celebrate the very best of academia-industry collaboration as a whole and submissions are encouraged from the social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, medical sciences and biological sciences.
Submissions are made in the name of the head of institution. They or an appropriate delegate (for example institutional lead for research and innovation) must submit the application.
The collaboration is expected to have lasted at least five years, still be active at the point of submission, and have spanned across multiple projects, grants, and activities. The collaboration should be focused around an academic team and one or more declared industrial partners – it should not be restricted to a single lead academic but may reflect a wide institutional partnership.
Submissions must address the following criteria:
- Clear evidence of sustained, strategic collaboration lasting at least five years and spanning multiple projects and activities.
- Why the collaboration is exceptional and deserving of national recognition.
- How the collaboration is original and distinctive.
- How the collaboration has specifically benefited the delivery of the institution’s goals.
- How the collaboration has benefited UK society and globally.
The judging panel will use the above criteria to shortlist up to 10 finalists.
Finalists will be invited to an event where the winner of the award will be announced.
- Submission can be from UK universities or colleges.
- UK universities and colleges are eligible to make one submission per year.
- Submissions are welcome from any discipline - not only those within the Academy’s engineering and technology remit.
- Finalists will be invited to an event in late September/early October 2024 where the winner will be announced.